So you’ve decided to sell your home. There is certainly more to it than just posting a For Sale sign. Indeed, we have outlined five of the most important steps you must take before listing your house:
Step 1: Learn Your Home's Market ValueBefore you sell your home, you need to determine the going rate for a property like yours. If you price too low, then you’ll cut into your earnings. If you price too high, then you’re likely to have more difficulty selling your home. There are a few ways to find a good price:
- Determine the market. Is it a buyer’s market or a seller’s market? You can check public statistics, get market reports from brokerages in your neighborhood or simply complete a thorough Google search.
- Talk to a local agent. They’ll have the best comps, known as comparable rates, and statistics on your area.
- Do your own research. Sites like Redfin and Zillow can be helpful in finding out what other homes in your neighborhood have gone for.
Step 2: Interview Real Estate Agents
Step 3: Set a Price and Understand It
Step 4: Prepare Your Home Before Showing
- Begin with the floors and walls. A good place to start is by looking at the condition of your carpet and paint. These are the things most likely to make your home look old and worn, but also some of the easiest and cheapest to fix.
- Next, tackle the interior decor. You’ll also need to address furniture and personal objects. You don’t want your home to feel too cluttered. Conversely, you don’t want it to be empty because buyers often have a tough time envisioning where things go. Your agent can help you find a happy medium.
- Don’t forget the outside of your home. Curb appeal is real and it means your lawn, shrubs and trees need to be well-manicured. You may also want to do some light landscaping to add value.
Step 5: Understand Your Agent’s Marketing Plan
- Sharing on social media
- Developing print materials
- Hosting an open house
- Purchasing digital ads
- And more!
This all may seem daunting, but it’s just a matter of getting started. Set a deadline for yourself and get to work!
For more information on homes for sale in Las Vegas, contact Shapiro & Sher today!